Truth Seeking through Game Making
Tuesday, June 20, 2006
  The Next Thing

Many have asked me what I will be doing next. For the next year in my life, I will be dedicating my time to two of my start-ups, Hatchlings Games and Electronic Sports World. After everything that I have been through for the past 22 years of life, I am now at the peak of my creative, business and personal life. Although these are trying times, I will try till I am tried.

So first of all, I rejoined Multimedia University (MMU), Cyberjaya, Malaysia. I will only be taking one subject, Korean. I, along with Key and Zie Aun plan to make a business trip to South Korea within the next eight months. Really looking forward to learn Korean and speak to Koreans using their language. Koreans have a culture that I really like, especially their openness to gaming. “Tae Ha Ming Kuk…” Korea! Korea! Oh, Malaysia Boleh!

I am not feeling very fresh now, should take a shower. There will be a MMU Game Developers Club committee meeting tonight. I just read a post by the Student Representative Council that we have to observe club constitutions. What exactly are they? Does that mean that every member has the right to VOTE for the club’s officers including the President? We could be too new, and our member base too separated to do so. I do believe that with Iris, GDC will head to a better way. Her goal is to simply unite people and have fun, while Kuan and Syefri will surely be adding very interesting events and programmes to the mix. I really hope everyone can give her your support; she definitely has mine. I plan to speak on certain occasions in GDC events.

Electronic Sports World

As mentioned, Electronic Sports World (ESW) is one my newer ventures. Man, I tend to use acronyms a lot. Anyway, ESW (again!) is an online video show that that feature professional gamers in a truly original locale and setting. It is very original and my partner and I believe that it will really change the landscape of gaming.

ESW is the brainchild of my partner, Y.K. Goon. In my opinion, Goon is a brilliant business thinker. He is very up-to-date with the latest in business thoughts and lifestyle. I first met Goon at a university lab test, where he used to teach computer programming as a tutor. Well, my relationship with him has changed almost completely since then. I said “Almost” completely because every time he shares his business thoughts, I am learning from him.

I am still looking for partners for ESW, especially someone with a passion for professional gaming, film production, and internet marketing.

Do send me an e-mail if you are interested in collaborating, investing, sponsoring or if you just want information on this interesting project.

Hatchlings Games and Project Card-Chess

Hatchlings Games, my other and older venture, have been through frequent transformation that reflects on what Key and I have learned in the industry. Over the last 10 months, we have been trying many things, testing out the waters. This unregistered company is started when five classmates, Paul, Key, John, Chuen Chieh, and Zie Aun decided to take their hobby further. But really, the history and progression of Hatchlings really deserve a few entries of its own.

Project Card-Chess is a MMO-based card game that is played on a board. It has a unique business model that I have been trying to develop. There are a lot of assumptions that will be changing along that model which will change the design of the game – especially the MMO components of the game. We have to ask ourselves simple and fundamental questions like, is the core gameplay mechanics fun? What really is an MMO? What would make people want to try and lay and eventually pay to play? Really simple questions that we be better have good answers to.

Anybody who wishes to see our business plan to give their opinions should drop me an e-mail at johntanslade@gmail.com.

To get updated with the project, or to see the project from another designer’s point-of-view, check out Zie Aun (no-wing)’s Project Card-Chess development diary.

We are always looking for production managers, programmers, 2D and 3D artists, writers, and new game ideas from anywhere in the world. So if you are would like employment or partnership in a young Malaysian game company that creates original IP creator, don’t hesitate to send me that e-mail.

For this project to work, I am devising a different financing mechanism - one where anybody can invest if they trust us. More on that soon!

Anime and Games

Recently I have been downloading and watching two animes and playing a game. The two animes are The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (torrent) and Jigoku Shouju (torrent). Both are excellent animes that I will encourage anyone with the time to watch. Already they are inspiring me with story and world building ideas. The game I have been playing is Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, the sequel to the first “The Longest Journey”. It is the 2nd part of the trilogy. So far it is a great game, except for the fact that I am stuck in some really difficult path-finding mind-bogging puzzle. The Longest Journey is written and directed by writer/director/game designer, Ragnar Tornquist.

Note: Do not be disappointed with the first episode of Haruhi Suzumiya, instead continue with the second episode, whether or not you finished the first. The episode was produced by the self-proclaimed ULTRA DIRECTOR Haruhi Suzumiya.

Lastly, I would like to recommend a game subscription service, JumboPlay which is brought to you by Josh Galloway’s Dragonback Media Interactive Sdn. Bhd. Do support the local games industry by buying original games.

 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
John Tan is an entrepreneur, programmer, games developer, game designer. He lives in Cyberjaya, Malaysia and operates a startup game company, Hatchlings Games. His current interest is on Web 2.0 Gaming.

ARCHIVES
January 2005 / February 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / September 2006 / November 2006 /


Powered by Blogger