Truth Seeking through Game Making
Sunday, May 15, 2005
  Linux over the last few days
I have not been updating my blog for the last few days. I could not - because I have been formating my Windows hard disk and installing Linux on it. I installed a fresh Linux from a wonderful distribution called Gentoo Linux. Gentoo is really an awesome distribution. I can proudly say that it is the best Linux distribution I used so far.

But since one of the main idea of Gentoo Linux is for the user to configure almost everything on your system. It will take a long time. The original download to kickstart the installation process is only about 23MB. From there I chose to boostrap my system from scratch. After an accumulated 36 hours of typing Linux commands and studying the Gentoo architecture (while waiting for source codes to download and compile) I finally managed to get the majority of my system running.

My system now runs:

Apache2 web server - Internal only. I do not know how to port forward external requests from port 80 of my ADSL modem/router to my other Wireless router. I manage to port forward from my wireless router to my internal LAN/WLAN though. Going to install PHP and set up MySQL soon.

bsd-ftp FTP server - Internal only too.

SAMBA server - for the other Windows system on my LAN to share files.

OpenOffice - I hope it can open .ppt files to read the lecture notes next trimester!

Neverwinter Nights - still trying to get hardware acceleration: It is very difficult to get it (3D hardware acceleration) working on my laptop's ATI Mobility Radeon 9700. I tried the FireGL driver but it doesn't work yet. Anybody having experience in this, please I beg you - lend me a hand.

Gotta go now. I am going to Church to attend Mass and volenteer to be a warden in the upcoming (23rd May) Golden Jubilee celebration of the arch-diocese of Kuala Lumpur.
 
Comments:
Hey apa ni? Does that explains why you weren't online for the past few days?
 
Err, I havent downloaded the Y! client for Linux yet la...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
John Tan is an entrepreneur, programmer, games developer, game designer. He lives in Cyberjaya, Malaysia and operates a startup game company, Hatchlings Games. His current interest is on Web 2.0 Gaming.

ARCHIVES
January 2005 / February 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / September 2006 / November 2006 /


Powered by Blogger