Truth Seeking through Game Making
Tuesday, May 31, 2005
  Interview with Zie Aun aka no-wing
Tan Zie Aun is a multi-talented Gamma (sophomore) SEGD student from the 2004/2005 (entering) batch. He is well known for his creative artworks (http://no-wing.deviantart.com) and intelligence (among the highest CGPA, brilliant in Math, writes very intelligently). Besides being fluent in Mandarin Chinese and English, he also knows rudimentary Japanese and Korean (self-taught). Best of all, he also creates his own runes and fantasy languages.

1) Please tell us more about yourself and your interests, education background and future plans.

I'm Zie Aun, known online as 'no-wing'. I came into MMU after six years in Singapore. I like to draw and write, other than playing games (duh). Always looking for a good game of Magic: the Gathering. I wish to go into concept art and story-writing, that or trading card games. I'm planning and coding an online card game now, that will be a big part of my portfolio. To see my works, please go to http://no-wing.deviantart.com

2) Why did you choose to join SEGD?

I've always loved games every since I received my first console for a birthday present. Well, I believe most people are game fans too, but I wanted to be more than just a fan. I have my ideas to show the world, and I believe games can be one medium to show my ideas

3) Are you satisfied with the course so far?

I'm satisfied; the course leaves much to desire. I think it's one of the very few courses that you still have your seniors hanging around and openly sharing ideas.

Programming

4) In your opinion, do you think some SEGD student can hate programming but still survive and graduate from the course?

Tough luck. There isn't much programming for the 'game design' subjects, but you still need them for the 'software engineering' part.

5) Do you think programming hard to learn? Why do you think it is so?

Programming is like speaking in another language. Learning it isn't hard, the hardest part is being fluent in it.

6) How much work should a student put into programming to get good at it good enough to be a game industry-standard programmer?

That is, if you're going to be a game programmer. To be fluent in this language (in any language, in fact), you'll have to use it often. Make some small programs in your free time, they help. I'm being hypocritical here, since I don't really like programming, but yeah, practice is the key. Another thing is interaction. Join online forums (one or two should be enough), and ask from people that are better than you.

7) Programming is boring to many new students (and to many senior students), and people do have that lasting first impressions. What do you recommend a newcomer to do to make programming / computer science more interesting and exciting?

To me, to be able to program games is exciting enough.

Art

Imagine if I am a new incoming BETA SEGD student interested in Game Art.

8) I am interested in game art, and I know this course does not teach me that. What do you think I should do?

That is, if you plan to do programming as well. Else I think you should be better off in FCM

9) I don’t know anything about programming, but I know I hate math and doubt that I have the brains to be a good programmer. However, I still want to know about games development, game design and its process since I love games. Do you think it is wise for me to join SEGD?

Learning programming doesn't mean that you'll have to be a game programmer. It's best to know something about game programming if you want to be a developer.

General

10) Any practical advice you can give the BETA SEGD student?

Besides what eXiang said, make a lot of friends. Grasp every opportunity that you come across. Don't be afraid to show people what you can do.

11) Thanks for your time; I am sure new students will appreciate it. I gather that you have been some projects. I hope to conduct a few interviews regarding your projects in the near future. Good Luck.

Besides what eXiang said, make a lot of friends. Grasp every opportunity that you come across. Don't be afraid to show people what you can do.

 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
John Tan is an entrepreneur, programmer, games developer, game designer. He lives in Cyberjaya, Malaysia and operates a startup game company, Hatchlings Games. His current interest is on Web 2.0 Gaming.

ARCHIVES
January 2005 / February 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / September 2006 / November 2006 /


Powered by Blogger