Truth Seeking through Game Making
Wednesday, May 18, 2005
  coLinux: Run full-blown Linux on Windows
Having made the decision to give up buying pirated software I, I have recently been using only Linux on my Laptop. See my previous post for more information. However I missed playing many games (downloadable indie games... since I do not buy pirated games anymore). Since the majority of Linux software are console-based (non-GUI), I thought of giving coLinux a try.

coLinux stands for co-operaive Linux. It runs the Linux operating system on a single windows thread. It supports many flavours of Linux - including my personal favourite - Gentoo. I have been using the excellent Linux emulator Cygwin for ages and thought of having a change. Also some programs do compile well in Cygwin - especially server programs. I needed an alternative - coLinux was IT.

When coLinux is running, it is like having a real saparate Linux box running on Windows. So If you need to use it just give a try. If you need help installing it there are plenty of support (learn to use googgle) and help available. If you are new to Linux and need to know why you should use it, you should write in some comments.
 
Comments:
Yo. I am glad that you found that it looks cool. What do you use Linux for? Have you tried any other emulation? Have you tried Cygwin?

I will give you an e-mail one day. We can discuss your dx code. I will publish my code too. Do you know where should I post it? Something like your neat site.
 
No my code doesnt have skeletal animation, go look at the open source OpenGL library Cal3D. My code is very primitive - like I said from my blog posts, I am starting from this from scratch - and it will take some time before I can do anything useful.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
John Tan is an entrepreneur, programmer, games developer, game designer. He lives in Cyberjaya, Malaysia and operates a startup game company, Hatchlings Games. His current interest is on Web 2.0 Gaming.

ARCHIVES
January 2005 / February 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / September 2006 / November 2006 /


Powered by Blogger